Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Time runs past when you're focused on the present



As I tried to wrap my brain over where these last two months have gone, my program director notified my cohort of important dates and logistical information regarding our departure. It seems that just last weekend we had our mid-point break and before that we had our community Welcome party accompanied with Thai dancing, a host parent blessing ceremony and more. Somewhere in between that, I taught classes, tutored students, and enjoyed trips with my host family. I still remember my first week when I bonded with my host mother through our temple visits and making merits to the monks. Honestly, I wake up and I don't dread going to work. And very often, it doesn't feel like work. On my worst days, it feels like an intense labor of love. I come home tired, sweating and wanting to take a deep sleep of recovery but still a labor of love. There aren't many other work experiences that I can compare to these feeling. Of course, there were definitely those nights were I wanted nothing more than to return back to DC, be a University student, and see my family. With that being said, I'm glad that I've spent the majority of my nights reflecting in my journal and examining my intentions and purpose while here, because otherwise, this impending date may have too sharp of a sting. As I try my best to hold on to these last two weeks, I will admire the amount of change that has occurred over these months and cherish them deeply.

Sade

No comments:

Post a Comment